August 31, 2011I think I've mentioned before that I'm a pathetic slacker when it comes to doing my Visiting Teaching. For my non-LDS friends, visiting teaching is where you get assigned 3-5 women in the ward to visit, check up on, and provide a spiritual message to every month. You're supposed to visit your "sisters," as we call, them BEFORE the last day of the month. As every month seems to go, the end comes before I've even realized a new month has started. Feeling more than my share of guilt at the thought of missing my visits AGAIN, I called all of my sisters and begged them to let me and my V.T. partner come by for a visit tonight. What I wasn't expecting with my pathetic pleas for forgiveness was to have one of our sisters actually break down and say it was inspiration that I had called when I did. She'd had a really crappy week... with her husband hurt in a car crash, their brand new truck totaled in the process, a huge fight with her mother-in-law, and losing her job which now meant they had no income for at least two months until her husband was cleared to go back to work. With two little kids, I knew cooking dinner was probably the last thing on her mind and the last straw after several days of stress. So I offered to bring her dinner instead of a visit. And while my family turned their noses up at my Chicken Tortellini Bake, I know my meager offering was appreciated.
Even though my slacking paid off this time, I'm not taking any chances next month and will be calling my sisters before the last day.
2 comments:
Maybe I should start emailing you my mid-monthly reminders to do your visits! :)
You may not get to your assigned sisters, but you help me pretty much a couple times a week! You should ask for one less since you got me. Thank you! Nicole B
Post a Comment