September 9, 2011I serve on our daycare's Child Care Advisory Committee. I suppose it's my way of being a PTA mom, minus the PTA. It's been a good thing. I've learned all kinds of things about my kids' daycare... some good, some bad. We've been able to change the menu to make it more healthy, buy new sand for the sandbox, write a Parent Handbook, get all the teachers CPR and first aid certified, and make other improvements.
Today our committee held an open house to unveil the new Outdoor Learning Classroom. Mr. Derrick won a big grant to turn the unused area behind our building into a new play are for the kids. It's awesome! There are musical instruments, a tepee, stepping stones, animal footprints in the walkways, a garden, and even a water feature. The best part though, is that it's shaded all day so the kids can get out of the hot sun in the front playground. We invited all the parents to come and see the plants each of the classes had planted and explore the new outdoor learning classroom. Everyone got 100% fruit juice Popsicles and had a great time. I can't tell you how excited I am about the project!
2 comments:
I highly recommend non-PTA ways of being involved at school!
I feel like a guilty slacker for not still participating in the DAC. I need to take a few minutes and check out the improvements. Exciting!
Post a Comment