March 23, 2011A friend at work had a baby shower today and I was in charge of dessert. What better way to satisfy the chocolate cravings of a room full of women (three of whom were pregnant) than to bake a Texas Cake. I forget that not everyone has had Texas cake. A couple of my coworkers raved about how good it was all day, even sneaking a few extra pieces! Apparently, they need to attend a Mormon funeral... it's one of the essential food items besides the ham, funeral potatoes, and jello salad.
Anyway, every time I make Texas cake I think of my Grandma Allen. She LOVES Texas cake. So much so, that anytime I make it for her, I have to make some extra frosting because my grandma drinks it. Seriously. She loves it that much. Grandma always inspects the cake to find where the low spot is and hence the most frosting. I admit though, I usually scout out the low spot too. And our sweet tooth has reached a third generation in Pearl. This morning she begged me to let her have cake and ice cream for a snack. I told her repeatedly that we don't eat sweets in the morning. To which Pearl responded, "But Mom, cake and ice cream are my favorite!"
She made me promise - at least seven times - that I would save her a piece of cake. And some "ass-cream" as she pronounces it. I made sure she got her sweet fix as soon as we got home. Yes, before dinner! Sort of makes up for being "a mean mom" and not letting her have cake for breakfast.
Texas Cake
2 cups flour
2 cups sugar
1 cup butter
1/4 cup cocoa
1 cup water
1/2 cup buttermilk
1 tsp baking soda
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla (I add extra!)
Mix flour and sugar. In a small saucepan over medium heat add butter, cocoa, and water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly. While still hot pour over flour and sugar and mix well. Add buttermilk, soda, eggs, and vanilla. Mix well. Pour into a floured jellyroll (cookie sheet) pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 20 minutes.
Texas Cake Frosting
1/2 cup butter
6 tsp evaporated milk
1/4 cup cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
powdered sugar
Combine butter and cocoa in small saucepan over medium heat. Add evaporated milk and vanilla and bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Pour liquid into mixing bowl and slowly add powdered sugar to taste. The frosting should be sweet and thick, yet still smooth enough to pour over cake. Frost while cake is still warm.
1 comment:
Why didn't you invite me over for some cake and ass-cream?!?!
Post a Comment