February 10, 2011

Where a kid can be a kid

February 10, 2011
The last two days have been long. Long.

So when Jeff got home, he asked Pearl if she wanted to do something fun tonight. Her little eyes sparked with delight when we decided upon Chuck-E-Cheese's for our family outing. We'd never been there before but if the commercials on PBS tell you Chuck-E-Cheese's is THE place to go, then you go. At least that's what Pearl's train of thought was. It was almost torture driving the 20 minutes there. But not nearly as torturous as having to eat a few bites of pizza before heading back out to the arcade games. Pearl had fun running from game to game, dancing in front of the blue screen and watching herself on the TVs, and picking out a small prize with her tickets. Cole enjoyed people-watching until his "ugly" hour hit and Jeff and I enjoyed having a few hours away from phone calls and problems.

I have to say though, I wasn't quite sure what to tell Pearl when she asked us, almost sounding heartbroken about it, why Chuck-E-Cheese wasn't real. Apparently she thought she was going to meet the real Cheese tonight. It made me laugh. And despite the horrible pizza and knowing full well whoever franchised this joint is capitalizing on sucker parents, I'm sure we'll be back.

3 comments:

Kami said...

I'm proud to say that I've been a mom for eight years and have never set foot in that place. Maybe I'm missing something, though!

Jeff Johnson said...

Chuck-E-Cheese ROCKED!

OK - not so much if you are educated, and or over the age of 10.

But Pearl REALLY had fun. So it was worth it.

Stephanie and Jason said...

It sounds like you had a lot of much needed fun! I hope that things start to get better soon!