January 19, 2011A sinful confession... we, I, never read scriptures. I am going to burn for sure. Trust me though, there is a constant nagging guilt for putting not only my eternity at stake but my kids' eternal future in jeopardy too. Especially since Pearl went into Primary and has to learn the song, "Scripture Power" this year.
Three days ago I decided it was time to change. Without even consulting the head of the household, I told everyone to grab their Book of Mormons and plop themselves down for a little spiritual nourishment. Jeff looked at me with this sort of "what in the world are we doing and I think she's serious" look but he went along with it. I figured we could read one chapter every night before bath time. We even told Pearl when we finished, hopefully by the end of the year, we could do something fun like stay in a hotel. Sunday went fine, Monday we forgot, Tuesday we read two chapters, and today, well it was painful. Pearl whined and complained about not wanting to read scriptures all through dinner, even telling us it was boring. Cole dumped all his toys out of the basket right in front of his sister who had just been told a zillion times to sit down, stop playing, and listen then proceeded to roll around, try to climb up my leg, eat my knee, and squeal at his dad for attention.
I have a feeling this is going to be a very painful process.
3 comments:
The road to heaven is paved with good intentions...
Wait - that's the road to Hell.
I'm silly
Bag the chapter-a-night-idea right now, and just go for 3-5 verses. At P's age (evan at Coop's age), a chapter is WAY too much. The point right now is to make it a habit that you can stick with. Don't make it painful! We've been doing five verses a night and even Kaleb can make it through. It also gives us room to explain what the verses mean, vs. a chapter where you're just blitzing through. The kids actually remind me to read scriptures now....and isn't that the whole point?
Post a Comment