August 20, 2011

Feeding the birds

August 19, 2011
Pearl and Cole were thrilled to see about 700 birds in our yard today.

Apparently they found the bird feeders.

Pre-kids, Jeff and I were really good about filling up the bird feeders. But when you don't have to worry about feeding kids, you can feed birds. Thousands of birds. It provided hours of entertainment for us too, watching them fight over the little bird feeder and flutter around the trees and our windows. We've always had two feeders. A small one by our back bedroom window (Pearl and Cole gave me a new one this year for Mother's Day) and this ceramic one by our bench. I love this bird feeder. It's so unique. My parents got it for Christmas one year and they never had mature enough trees to hold it (it's quite heavy). So I did them a favor, sparing the bird feeder from a life of sitting on the back porch without bird friends, and took it home with me.

And while I can't compete with our neighbors who dump a bag or two of birdseed (and peanuts to satisfy the blue jays) on their back porch every day, I think our little feathered friends were quite pleased to finally find some food.

1 comment:

Kami said...

I'm done with the birds. I invite them to live on my porch, then they poop all over and eat my raspberries, peaches, apricots, and chicken feed. DOWN WITH THE BIRDS, I say!