August 11, 2011

Road block

August 3, 2011
Pearl often asks if we can go the "straight" way home (on the side roads) instead of the "fast way" on the freeway. Well, this morning I promised her that we'd take the straight way home. Little did I know how dumb this promise was going to be. Less than a mile away from home we hit a road block. Sure, I'd seen a sign way, way, way down the road that said "Road Closed" but I ignored it. I just figured the refineries were up to something and that I'd be able to get through the single four-way stop that would get us home. Uh, nope. I had to turn around and drive all the way back. Then I figured, well we can just go around the road block instead of getting on the freeway. No time lost and we'll enjoy the slight change in plans. Mistake number two. Apparently every single intersection and street that would have taken us from one side of the freeway to the other was under construction. What was supposed to be a leisurely ride home turned into a 45 minute, frustrating, scream-ladened (Cole was not pleased to be in the car more than double the normal time it takes to get home) drive to nowhere. Every road I turned on had "Road Closed" or "Detour" signs on them. I was less than pleased and will never let Pearl talk me into going the straight way home again.

1 comment:

Kami said...

Back seat driving never works out for us, either!