One at least two occasions this month, I've completely spaced bringing treats to work potlucks. Oops.
Tonight was my Allen family Christmas party. It's been years since we've been. I felt it was important that at least me and the kids go (Jeff was at the basketball games) since I haven't seen some of my cousins since I was changing their diapers! And now they are in high school, college, or married! But I also felt I couldn't go empty-handed considering my previous potluck failures. Especially because we're never expected to show up anyway.
Jeff sensing my need for a few hours of alone time to get some stuff done at home, picked the kids up from daycare so I could leave work a few hours early and bake a Texas Cake. (And clean the kitchen, finish some Christmas shopping, and have a few moments of "boredom".... it's amazing what one can get done without two tornadoes running around your legs.) It's my Grandma Allen's favorite. My Grandma has been struggling for several months with clinical depression and anxiety again, and I was hoping her favorite cake with loads of sickening sweet frosting would cheer her up. Every time I see that delicious frosting dripping down the beaters, I think of her and smile. We used to make extra frosting just so we could drink it.
Everyone was happy (and surprised) to see us, especially my Grandma.
No comments:
Post a Comment