July 5, 2011

F.H.E.

June 28, 2011
I felt a surge of guilt yesterday for not holding regular, well any, Family Home Evenings. Now that we've got scripture study down for the most part, I decided we needed to step up our spiritual game and add a weekly family night.

There was moaning and groaning and a lot of eye rolling when I made the announcement. I told Jeff it was a matter of our kids' spiritual exaltation at stake. And how can you argue with that?

My mother-in-law just so happened to give us a collection of pictures and photos from the scriptures. It's the perfect tool to get us in the habit of doing something, anything on Monday nights. I decided we were going to learn about Ammon, since we should at some point this week read about this story in the Book of Mormon. Besides what kid (or husband) doesn't love a good arm-chopping off story? Pearl picked the song, I gave the lesson, and Jeff ate the dessert.

It wasn't too bad after all. Now if we can just keep it up week after week.

1 comment:

Kami said...

When my kids were little like yours, I'd pick a picture, tell the story (like you) then leave the picture hanging up all week until the next FHE. It gave us chances to keep talking about the story/meaning throughout the week, and keep it in the boys' minds.