November 16, 2011

Cupcake decorating class

November 15, 2011
I went to a cupcake decorating class tonight with Stephanie and Jennifer - two of "the girls." They were so nice to invite me to their GNO (Girls' Night Out). Even if Jeff gave me that look, "Please don't leave me with the dwarfs again." He did have them all weekend while I was in Colorado. But he is a good husband and dad and let me go out tonight despite his wish to be somewhere other than at home with two clingy children.

I have to admit, I was really excited about the prospects of learning how to be all Martha Stewart with decorating but when I saw our list of needed supplies I almost canceled! Size 104 tips, size 12, size 103, size 16, size 3, decorating bags, couplers (what in the heck is a coupler?), candy, frosting (the nasty kind with Crisco in it... yuck... why is decorating icing so gross?), cupcakes, more candy, rolling pin, cocoa, knives, bowls, wax paper, clear sprinkles, spoons, and a blasted apron! Really, an apron? I figured it was going to cost me $50 to make four cupcakes. Not to mention the disappointment when said cupcakes resembled nothing like the holiday spirit they were supposed to put me in.

But I was wrong about the whole thing. We split the massive supply list and I got the easy part... cupcakes and frosting. Pearl was so excited to help me make them, she picked out 4th of July and St. Patrick's Day cupcake liners. I learned a few tricks about how to use a decorating tip and bag when making turkey cupcakes. Got some super creative ideas for making Christmas ornament cupcakes. And watched in horror (with a lot of giggles) as my attempt to make a gingerbread house cupcake toppled over before my eyes. Despite what you might think by the picture, 4 of the 5 cupcakes turned out pretty good... at least you can tell what they are supposed to be.

2 comments:

Kami said...

Now it's your turn to give me a lesson!

Fondario Family said...

How fun! I'm looking forward to GNO one day...not too much longer to go!